Being the world’s entertainment capital, Los Angeles is a dream destination for many travel enthusiasts. While many people visit this city to see its eclectic culture, exciting nightlife, wineries, and breweries, others want to enjoy their time at the beach with sunshades on and towels parked with their significant other or with kids (that’s why many of you search Venice Los Angeles).
Your presence here indicates that you plan to visit Los Angeles and enjoy its beaches, which offer a serene environment and spectacular views. But which beach must you go to during your trip to Los Angeles? Should you start your trip at Venice Beach? Santa Monica Beach? Huntington Beach? What about Redondo Beach?
Let’s take a deep dive into this exclusive blog to learn about the features of all the top five beaches in Los Angeles so that you can select where to start your trip!
Venice Beach tops the list of the best beaches in Los Angeles, owing to its incredible popularity among the locals as well as the tourists coming from all across the globe. This beach is particularly famous for its bohemian culture, Muscle Beach Outdoor Gym, and colorful street performers.
It is a must-visit beach in this beautiful city (at least once in your life), whether you are a citizen of the USA or a visitor willing to satisfy your wanderlust. You can get to this beach in half an hour via your car or just book a taxi; the traffic might be annoying, but the struggle is worth it for this stunning beach.
The list of amenities at this beach is pretty long; it includes shops where you can rent out a bicycle, surfboard, or segway. Fitness freaks can enjoy the unique experience of working out at the shore of the sea, but you will only see professional bodybuilders there and that could be annoying (we can feel you).
What’s more? Delicious street food that you won’t get anywhere else in Los Angeles; the street food vendors prepare delicious delights for customers with a lot of love. It means you can fill your stomach while strolling around on the beach or admiring the breathtaking views of the boardwalk.
Things to Do in Venice, Los Angeles:
As mentioned above, there are several things that you can try at this beautiful beach, from enjoying delicious meals to exercising and just strolling around. Let’s learn more about all the activities and attractions of this beach in-depth:
- Stroll Around: If you find yourself on Venice Beach, don’t forget to take a walk along the Venice Canals. The spectacular views of arching pedestrian bridges, bunches of ducklings, and charming beach houses are sure to mesmerize your senses. However, if you want some thrilling experience, carry your non-motorized vessel to explore the neighborhood at the water level.
- Watch People on the Boardwalk: You can do people-watching in Venice Los Angeles in case you are not in the mood for doing something adventurous. See the people of this beautiful city or travelers doing things their way, including cycling, playing football, skating, beach volleyball, and a lot more. If these things don’t excite you, here is something more exciting that you can do; gawk at bodybuilders (you can do it, ladies).
- Explore Skate Park: This beach is perfect for skateboarders as it features a skate park, built in 2009, ideal for perfecting your skills and flaunting your talent. Prepare some of your best moves on a fingerboard, jump straight into the skate park with your skateboard and seize the eyes of viewers. It’s a true haven for those whose first love is skateboarding! However, if you are not into skateboarding, you can watch other people performing tricks and encourage them!
|Address||Venice, Los Angeles, CA, USA|
|Distance From CBD||(18.1mi)|
|How to Reach||
By Car: Take the I-10W transport route to get to Venice Beach in around 36 minutes.
|Nearby Eateries||The Sidewalk Cafe, The Rose Venice, Venice Ale House, Hinano Cafe, and Great White|
|Ideal For||Swimming, Fishing, Volleyball, Strolling Around, Eating, Shopping, etc.|
Google Reviews: “This beach is an absolute beauty! The landscapes are stunning, and the beaches are as pristine as it gets. Oh, and don’t even get me started on the sunsets – they’re truly one-of-a-kind. I’ve even witnessed couples tying the knot here”. – Ivan Corona
Santa Monica Beach
Santa Monica Beach is one of the top and best beaches in Los Angeles, with some seriously good restaurants, a beachfront boardwalk, and an amusement pier. This beach is quite clean and super wide; it is spread over 3.5 miles, offering plenty of space for tourists. The soft sandy shores make this beach perfect for the little feet that will come along with you to enjoy this beautiful beach.
However, if you plan to visit this beach with your dog, remember that Santa Monica Beach is not a dog beach. Only leashed calves are allowed along the boardwalk; you can try other beaches in case you can’t leave your furry friends home alone. This beach is perfect for having a day out with your family and friends; your kids will surely enjoy their time on this beach as it has plenty to offer.
This beach features an amusement park, a Ferris wheel, an aquarium, and an amusement park. But what about your tummy? There are plenty of restaurants at Santa Monica Beach that serve delicious local food to satisfy your deep cravings; you can find the food of your taste easily at this beautiful place. Once you are done sunbathing, strolling around the boardwalk, or doing other fun activities, you can start shopping for things as a souvenir of your trip to the best beaches in Los Angeles.
Things to Do on Santa Monica Beach:
There are a lot of fun things to do on Santa Monica Beach; you can enjoy a roller coaster ride, have local food delights, and a lot more. Here is the list of activities that you must try upon visiting this beautiful beach:
- Soak Up the Sun: Enjoy the heat of the sun on Santa Monica Beach with your family and friends in the lounge chairs while a butler takes care of your needs. However, to enjoy your time with the sun, you have to secure a spot, which you can do through the official website of Bench Rentals or get more information regarding these services.
- Check Your Strength: Once you are done meeting the sun or simply are not interested in soaking up the heat, you can pump some iron at the Original Muscle Beach. However, Santa Monica Beach doesn’t have many weightlifting events like Venice Los Angeles. You can easily find gymnastic equipment at this beach, such as rings, ropes, swings, and bars.
- Eat Local Food: If you have never been to Los Angeles or are a traveler, you must try the local food available at Santa Monica Beach. You can find some good restaurants within walking distance that offer a variety of cuisines and top-notch local food items. Sandpiper, Patio Del Mar, The Lobster, etc., are a few good restaurants over there!
|Name||Santa Monica Beach|
|Address||Santa Monica State Beach, California, United States|
|Distance From CBD||(20.4 mi)|
|How to Reach||
By Car: You can get to Santa Monica Beach via the I-10 W from Los Angeles CBD within 28
By Bus: Choose Route 1, Rapid 3, Rapid 7, or Rapid 10 of the Big Blue Bus to reach Santa Monica Beach in no time.
|Nearby Eateries||Cafe Lovi, Paderia, Lanea, Whac-A-Mole Tacos, Blue Bottle Coffee|
|Ideal For||Picnic, Sunbathing, Swimming, Gymnastic|
Google Reviews: “Nice beach, lots to do. Beautiful scenery and atmosphere. Sits right along the pacific highway with the mountains in the background. The pier has multiple places to get food, rides, and games. Definitely worth a visit if you are in L.A. family friendly too” – Will Gressock Grisak
Huntington Beach is one of the favorite beaches in Los Angeles of surfers all across the country. This beach is flat, and wide and boasts some of the best waves in Southern California. It is spread over 10 miles on either side of the city’s largest piers. Thrill-seekers can go to this place to get their fix and enjoy the best time of their life.
If you are into surfing, get to this beautiful beach, visit the International Surfing Museum, grab a board, and try surfing on the waves that you only get on Huntington Beach. This beach and the roads of Los Angeles get crowded on weekends, so it would be best if you visit it on weekdays if you do not like crowded areas.
You can get accommodation within walking distance at the Kimpton Shorebreak Huntington Beach Resort if you are unsure about where to stay, which is a surf-themed pet-friendly hotel. Once you are done enjoying yourself on Huntington Beach, you can take your furry friends to Huntington Dog Beach, which is an off-leash dog park on the sand.
Things to Do in Huntington Beach:
After knowing about this beautiful beach, you might be excited to learn about the activities and attractions. There are many things that you can enjoy doing at this beach, from playing volleyball to admiring the spectacular sunset and ocean view. Here are some must-try things:
- Have a Great Surfing Experience: You can try surfing at Huntington Beach, where you find the best waves, offering you a great surfing experience. And if you are a surfer, you might not miss an opportunity to jump into the waters of this beautiful beach and surf along with your surfing buddies. At this beach, you also get to connect with a community and like-minded people or surfers.
- Explore International Surfing Museum: Once you are done surfing, you can head off to the International Surfing Museum. It features the world’s largest surfing board, which weighs a whopping 1,300 pounds and is 42 feet long and 11 feet wide. Besides this, you get a lot to see in this International Surfing Museum that will capture your heart if you are into surfing.
- See Breathtaking Views from the Pier: If you are not a patient of acrophobia, you might want to climb the West Coast’s longest pier, which is 1,850 feet in length. People love to capture their moments at Huntington Beach Pier and over time, it has obtained the title of town’s most photographed spot. So, what are you waiting for? Go to this beach and flood your social media with your stunning photos!
|Address||Huntington Beach, California, USA|
|Distance From CBD||(43.5 mi)|
|How to Reach||
By Car: You can get to Huntington Beach via I-5 and I-605 S within 48 minutes from Los
By Tram & Bus: Take the Metro A-Line and Bus Line 33 to reach Huntington Beach in no time.
|Nearby Eateries||25 Degrees Huntington Beach, Simmzy's Restaurant Huntington Beach, Sugar Shack Cafe, red Table Restaurant, and Tanner's Restaurant|
|Ideal For||Surfing, Sunbathing, Swimming|
Google Reviews: “This is an awesome place to spend your weekends or just to relax. The lifeguards are always keeping an eye on all the people at the beach. There is an area with some wooden chairs just behind the cafe where you can sit and watch the view. The water is very calm, so it is very easy to take a bath.” – Omae wa Mou Shindeiru
Manhattan Beach could be your final destination if you are looking for the best beach in Los Angeles. This well-maintained, super wide, and sandy beach features some of the most expensive villas in the area. Indeed, living just a few yards away from the most beautiful Manhattan Beach is a next-level experience.
Head off to this place immediately if you love to swim, as the waters are safe on this beach and lifeguards stand every few hundred yards. It means you can enjoy your time on the beach with ultimate safety. In addition to swimming, you can try many other activities on this beautiful beach, from sunbathing to sightseeing or just strolling around.
There are many good restaurants near Manhattan Beach where you can fill your stomach when your energy levels go down. Once you are done eating and swimming, you can go to the nearest municipal pier that features a small aquarium. If you like to stay near this beautiful beach, you can give a shot to the nearest hotels that offer rooms to customers at reasonable rates and plenty of facilities like FREE Wi-Fi, Kitchenettes, etc.
Things to Do in Manhattan Beach:
You might have gotten the idea that there are a lot of things that you can do on this beautiful beach. If you plan to visit this beach, here’s a list of things that you can’t afford to miss out on:
- Have a Picnic: If you are tired of your family or loved ones complaining about not giving them enough time, take them to this beautiful beach for a picnic and they will love it. This sandy beach is a perfect picnic spot, owing to some of its seriously good restaurants and the plenty of amenities it has to offer visitors.
- Surf or Watch People Surfing: Those who are into surfing must visit this beautiful beach where the good waves are waiting for the great surfers. However, if you don’t possess surfing skills, you can give it a try on this beach or just watch people surfing and enjoying their time in the waters.
- Watch the Sunset: You can simply sit on this sandy beach with your favorite drink (non-alcoholic) to see and capture the spectacular views of the sunset with your significant other (that’s quite romantic). You can also spare some time to take your family or friends to this beach, grab some snacks and drinks till dark, or gaze at the stars in the evening.
|Address||2 Manhattan Beach Blvd, Manhattan Beach, CA 90266, USA|
|Distance From CBD||(24.9 mi)|
|How to Reach||
By Car: You have to drive for at least 36 minutes to get to Manhattan Beach from Los Angeles
CBD via I-110 S.
By Bus: Catch the bus from Temple St & Hill St (Westbound) to arrive at your destination in no time!
|Nearby Eateries||The Strand House, The Kettle, Rockefeller - Manhattan Beach, Sloopy's Beach Cafe, and Rock'N Fish Restaurant|
|Ideal For||Surfing, Fishing, Swimming, Picnic|
Google Reviews: “This is a beautiful pier and place. I brought my kids here and they loved walking the beach. It was nice and quiet. Clean. Wasn’t crowded at all. Bathrooms were locked but it was still a good time. The different colored lights illuminated the area but not too bright so it was a good tone. We loved the area and look forward to our next time here.” – Vince Monreal
Redondo Beach is one of the best and most family-friendly beaches in Los Angeles, where you get a municipal pier, plenty of restaurants, shopping destinations, and water sports. Whether you are going to a beach for the first time or love spending your weekends on the beaches, every experience on this beach would be wonderful.
You can try your hands at surfing here or play beach volleyball; however, if you are in the mood for an adrenaline-pumping activity, rent out a kayak or SUP to jump straight into the waters. There are guided SUP tours available on this beach (December to May), which allow you to see the whales migrating.
Want something crazy? Hop on the Looking Glass Boat to see the world inside the sea through the panoramic windows of the floor (that’s indeed a unique and chilling experience). That’s all about the adventures, and after enjoying all these activities, you can get into the SEA Lab, which is an interactive lab that will familiarize you with the underwater life in the Pacific.
Things to Do in Redondo Beach:
The list of activities and attractions at this beautiful beach is pretty long and you might get confused about what to try and exclude. Here are some of the craziest things to try in Redondo Beach:
- Take a Surf Lesson: Redondo Beach is the perfect destination to try a surf lesson since the waves at this beach never get too big and stay almost consistent throughout the year. The water during September and October is the warmest; however, it is possible to surf year-round with a wetsuit.
- Board Looking Glass Boat: If you share some characteristics of a marine biologist or are simply interested in learning about sea life, you must try Looking Glass Boat. It’s an exclusive and amazing experience to see life underwater, available only at Redondo Beach, Los Angeles, CA.
- Going to SEA Lab is a must: You must go to the SEA Lab whenever you visit Redondo Beach; it will help you get a great understanding of the underwater life in the Pacific. Get your kids and family along; this little thing will turn your trip into an educational, adventurous, and joyous tour.
|Address||Redondo Beach Pier, Fisherman's Wharf, Fishermans Wharf, Redondo Beach, CA 90277, United States|
|Distance From CBD||(25.4 mi)|
|How to Reach||
By Car: You have to drive for nearly 36 minutes to get to Redondo Beach from Los Angeles CBD
via I-110 S.
By Bus: Board Bus line 40 to get to Redondo Beach in no time at a cheap price.
|Nearby Eateries||Eat Joe's, The Slip Redondo Beach, Ragin Cajun Cafe, Baleen Kitchen, and Bluewater Grill|
|Ideal For||Kayak, Swimming, Surfing, Windsurfing, Fishing|
Google Reviews: “One of the best piers I’ve ever been to! Great entertainment the day I went and a ton of places to choose from to eat! The beach was fun too! Great waves and splashes!” – Christina Kearney
Traveling to the world’s entertainment capital and not seeing its beautiful beaches is an impossible scenario. There are a lot of beaches in Los Angeles that provide their visitors with a serene environment, breathtaking views, delicious local food, and plenty of water sports. However, deciding which beach is the best that you can’t afford to miss out on without getting familiar with the beaches and facilities could be difficult.
This blog lists the top five beaches in Los Angeles, where you can go alone or take your family and friends to have a good time. You can add any of these beaches or all of them to your itinerary and you won’t regret visiting or spending your time there. However, each beach has plenty to offer; you can determine what each offers and decide what you want the most.